News View All News »
LCSD Student Advances to State Bus Safety Poster Contest
Wednesday, May 31, 2017
A poster created by Liverpool Elementary first-grader Romit Basu recently was selected as a first place winner at the regional level of the 2017 National School Bus Safety Poster Contest. The Central New York Association for Pupil Transportation sponsored the regional contest.
His poster will now advance to the state level of the poster contest and judging will take place during the New York Association for Pupil Transportation’s annual conference to be held in Albany this July.
Also honored at the regional level were Liverpool Elementary first-grader Saranya Manikandan (second place in Division 1) and Long Branch Elementary sixth-grader Olivia Burkett (second place in Division 3).
Each year during the month of March, Liverpool Central School District bus drivers introduce the poster contest and its rules to students during their spring emergency bus drills. At the beginning of May, LCSD Transportation Center staff members judge the posters submitted by students.
This year’s theme was “My Driver… My Safety Hero” and the winning posters from the district level moved on to the CNYAPT’s chapter-level poster contest.
District level poster contest winners were:
- First Place: Elmcrest Elementary first-grader Romit Basu
- Second Place (tie): Liverpool Elementary second-grader Darshana Kuppuraj and Liverpool Elementary first-grader Saranya Manikandan
- Third Place: Elmcrest Elementary second-grader Aran Walls
- Honorable Mention: Elmcrest Elementary kindergartner Jaina May
- First Place: Soule Road Elementary fourth-grader Isabella Maslyn
- Second Place: Soule Road Elementary fourth-grader Jayden Wheeler
- Third Place: Elmcrest Elementary fourth-grader Caitlyn Campudoni
- Honorable Mention: Soule Road Elementary fifth-grader Briana Gabbert
- First Place: Long Branch Elementary sixth-grader Olivia Burkett